Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pan Pacific Championships - Swimming

This was Ryan Lochte's meet. Amazing performances - six gold medals. I'm surprised by how good he looks this year, even though he's had to recover from injuries. His dolphin turn under water is looking so powerful and I think it will be as much of an advantage to Ryan as Michael Phelps's dolphin turn is to Michael. I was shocked by how much longer he stayed under water compared to the other competitors. I think his healthier diet and his focus on upper body strength due to his lower body injuries have also greatly benefited him. Michael Phelps, though not in his typical tip top competitive shape, did well in his events, outside of the 400 IM, even though he was not happy with his times. I am ready to see him buckle down and get back to the standard he's set for himself, and I'm sure he is motivated to get back there after Nationals and PanPacs. He will need to get back there to hold off Lochte. I look forward to seeing amazing matchups between Phelps and Lochte. I think Lochte is getting even better than before and I think things will be tighter between him and Michael. Tyler Clary is doing well, too. While I expect Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte to be the ones to edge him out for the U.S. spots in the major meets, if one of them should flub up, Tyler will probably be there to take advantage. He already bested an admittedly out of tip-top competitive shape Phelps in the 400 IM, a race which Michael hadn't done since the Olympics (and he planned on not doing it after Beijing). I was surprised to hear of Michael doing the 400 IM, but he can still be very competitive in it, and if he doesn't mind doing it, why not go for it? I'm thinking he will probably end up swimming around the same amount of events in 2012 as he did in 2008 if he keeps the 400 IM, though. I'm sure he and his coach will figure out what will work the best for him. I'm thinking he will end up in the same events as 2008 at this point, maybe dropping one of them, but not adding on new events.

I was also impressed with Natalie Coughlin. She's taken a lot of time off as well since the Olympics and has come back to swimming this year after getting married and doing Dancing With The Stars. I look forward to seeing just how great she can do with more training time under her belt. Rebecca Soni continues to do a great job in the breaststroke events. She's been holding it down for the U.S. women this quad. I hope she will get a little more attention in the lead up to the 2012 Olympics. I'm hoping Rebecca and Natalie does, actually. The U.S. men are so successful and either have interesting personalities or achieve such amazing feats and deserve the spotlight, but these two ladies are really doing a great job as well. Amanda Beard having a comeback, and a competitive one at that, is really surprising to me. I think it would be awesome for her to be a five time Olympian. It's really impressive that she's been able to get back into shape so quickly after time off and having a baby. Hope she keeps improving.

Other thoughts: I was really happy to see Jason Lezak compete again. I really hope he receives some sponsorship, because I'd love to see him continue. Good to see Kitajima back as well. I was surprised the Australians were not as competitive against the U.S., in terms of winning medals, at this meet. I do realize they were hurt by Stephanie Rice having to pull out of the meet, though. There was a guy on the team that was out of shape and just getting back in shape. And it seems they had a few up and comers. I expect them to be more competitive next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment